Research shows that heating our homes in winter and cooling them in summer uses the largest proportion of our total electricity costs. Not far behind is hot water with some reports estimating that up to 25% of electricity usage comes from hot water. With electricity costs continuing to rise, it makes sense that most homeowners are looking for ways to reduce the cost of hot water heating.
How To Reduce Hot Water Costs: Simple Steps
Simple Ways To Use Less Hot Water
Reducing hot water usage requires changing your daily habits and thinking about the need for hot water during your daily routine.
- Take shorter and cooler showers.
- Wash in cold water and only when you have a full load.
- Only run the dishwasher when full.
- Ensure the plug is in the sink when hand washing and use as little water as possible.
- Use economy settings on both dishwasher and washing machine.
- Always use cold water to wash hands.
Lowering Hot Water Costs With A New Hot Water System
If you’re in the market for a new hot water system in Nowra or surrounds, talk to Shoalhaven Hotwater & Elements. We can help you choose the best hot water system for you and install it to maximise its energy efficiency. Some of these measures include:
- Insulating exposed hot water pipes.
- Setting your system to 60 degrees.
- Adding insulation to your storage tank (if appropriate).
- Installing your system as close as possible to points of hot water use.
As a hot water specialist, we offer a range of hot water systems including:
How Much Does Hot Water Cost?
Your quarterly hot water bill will depend on a number of factors such as the number of people in your household and the type of hot water system you have. Use this hot water calculator to estimate the cost of hot water in your home.